This extension add a whole list of new features including text to speech, dictionary definitions, a picture dictionary, note-taking tool, vocabulary list tool, and more. Read&Write can be used by students still learning to read, by students with reading struggles or special needs, and by students who are accomplished writers but would benefit from help with editing and organizing.
Once installed, to use the extension simply have any Google Document open, and then click on the "Read&Write" tab to open its toolbar. Students can then select text and do the following:
- Click the "Play" button to have the text read aloud.
- Click the "Dictionary" button to see a written definition, which can also be clicked to be read aloud.
- Click the "Picture Dictionary" button to see clipart related to the selected word.
- Click the "Fact Finder" button to open a new tab with a Google search of the text.
- Click the "Collect Highlights" button to pull all the selected texts together in a new window.
- Click the "Vocabulary List" button to open a new window with definitions, related pictures, and room for notes.
Install the Read&Write for Google Documents extension from the Chrome Web Store